You might write a very readable business blog on wordpress, stuff it with all information required, have wonderful pictures, audios and even exciting videos to accompany them, but that is not enough for your site to attract traffic on the internet. For that, you need to know how to optimise your site for SEO. If you can ensure that you optimise your site according to best practices, you not only stand to improve your rankings, but also gain customers.
Let’s now look at what you should do to optimise SEO for your site.
1. Make sure you include the keyword in your post URL. Change your permalink structure under settings->Permalinks and then select custom structure to change the value to include the category.
2. Include your keyword in your title and make sure it is attractive, explanatory but not too long (within 65 characters). Do not waste time in chasing keywords that are highly competitive. Choose one of the phrases and see if the search result number is large. If yes, avoid it.
3. Use your keyword within the post, but make sure you didn’t stuff it too much. Your post should have a keyword density of not more than 1-2%
4. Ensure your website content contains references and links to other important and relevant local businesses, places and events. It would also help if you included your city and region in important meta titles and descriptions.
5. You need to identify images that suit your keyword/phrase. Name your images prior to uploading them and ensure you fill out the title and alt descriptions when you upload.
1. Make sure you’ve linked your post to any older/related posts. You should have also pinned your pos using my title or meta description which includes the keywords.
2. Complete and optimise your Google places for business listing and add your logo, bio and other keyword rich services and links to your website.
3. Ensure you add your business name and address to your facebook, Google+ pages adding a unique description and link them to your website.
4. Make sure that you have functional social sharing buttons available within your posts to enable others to share content your easily.
5. Encourage client reviews on local websites and make sure you reply every time as positive reviews set you apart from competitors.
Along with a linear, responsive site, if you’ve followed these 10 commandments, your site would well be on top of Google’s results next week!